Level I: Families in Transition
This course helps parents better understand co-parenting
The basic level course is designed to help parents understand how to work together as they parent from separate homes. It gives insight on how children are impacted at different stages of development and ways parents can help their children adjust. The class also helps parents look at where they are in their transition from a romantic relationship to a co-parenting relationship and ways to reduce stress and improve communication. The course also gives information about different parenting styles, abuse and neglect and how the mediation process can help parents from all circumstances create safe parenting plans that are in the best interests of the children and while meeting as many of the parents’ needs as possible.
The class is held the second Saturday of each month from 9:00 a.m. to noon in the classroom at Mediation West. Even if you have been court-ordered to attend, you must complete your registration and pay the fee in advance.
- The cost for the class is $46.35 ($45 plus a 3% processing fee). If you cannot afford the class, you will need to have a fee waiver signed by the Judge. Mediation West must receive this signed form from the Court before your registration can be completed without payment. To register sending a waiver request for the Judge’ signature, click here.
- Parents are required to take the class separately. If parents each want to attend for the same month, the parent with assignment by the Court for a particular month will have preference.
- During COVID, we have developed a system where parents can join via zoom. Because there are courts in our area that do not accept web-based classes, we only offer the class in a live format. You cannot satisfy the Court’s requirement through watching a pre-recorded session. If you prefer to attend online:
- Please register early so there is time for you to get your printed materials.
- You must arrange to be in a place with a stable internet connection for the entire 3 hours. To receive credit for attending via livestream, you will need to have your video active for the entire class and you will need to be able to be able to unmute to interact with the class. If you do not have a working camera or microphone, or reliable connection you should attend in person.
- You will need to complete and return District Court Form 6:5.5 to Mediation West so we can include this in the packet we provide to the court for all attendees (those attending in person will complete this after class).
The instructors appreciate your feedback. To access the evaluation form, click here.
Level II: Families in Transition
This course helps parents better minimize conflict through parallel parenting.
The second level course is designed to help parents understand how they can parent in ways that reduce the effects of their unresolved parental conflict on their child(ren). This course looks at different ways to communicate and other steps parents can take to minimize conflict with the other parent.
The class is scheduled as needed to help parents meet the requirements of their orders from District Court. Even if you have been court-ordered to attend, you must complete your registration and pay the fee in advance.
- The cost for the class is $190.55 ($185 plus a 3% processing fee). If you cannot afford the class and you have been ordered to attend by a Nebraska District Court, you will need to submit a reduced fee application and income verification to be considered for our sliding fee scale.
- As with the level I course, parents are required to take the class separately.
You will need to complete form 6:5:5 from above after completing this class as well. The Evaluation form for this class can be found here.